Search this blog

Solitary Retreat and Mindfulness

At the end of next week I'll be going off for a 2 week solitary retreat. It'll be in a very remote place and I am really looking forward to it. I have decided that I am going to blog about parts of this retreat.

Going on retreat, for me, is very important. It's like an electric jolt to the spiritual system. Which is a terrible analogy, but it's late! I'll be going on the retreat without a time table or plan, as open minded as possible. It'll be good to see what emerges. There will be a simple format of meditation throughout the day, but nothing too taxing initially. I will be taking one rule with me...

be kind to my mind or it'll run away!

There is one thing that has been lolling about in my mind the past few weeks, Mindfulness. So mindfulness might become a theme of the retreat, who knows.

Mindfulness is the practice of being aware in everyday actions and reactions. It's not that easy for me, but I suppose that's why it's a practice.

The word 'practice' is my key word. Just like everything that I want to do in life, I have to practice in order to get good at any of it.

Day to day practice is hard though. Happily I've managed to stop beating myself up for not meditating every day or not doing lots of nice things for the world. It was just stopping me meditating and doing nice things for the world. So, I'm a bit kinder to myself and it seems to be doing the trick.

The solitary retreat may help me to strip away a few more of the trillion things that weigh down Hen and let me have a good old shake and come away a bit refreshed.

... Or I might go mad.


To be perfectly honest, I'm apprehensive about going, as well as excited!

;o)

hen
xxx


6 comments:

  1. Hope you don't go mad. ;-)

    I'm so jealous! It will be a long while before I am able to be alone since my children are so small!

    Enjoy. I can't wait to read about it. I'll live vicariously through your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hen, I'd love to go on a retreat. Looking forward to reading how you get on.

    I have something for you at my blog, when you get a moment.

    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its odd you should mention "Mindfulnees", as I am currently seeking out information on the techniques used by the Oxford group that recently appeared on television.

    Sychronisity, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, I'm trying to fit in as much of this sort of thing as I can before I have any children!

    Kim, If there's anything I can do to help you go on retreat don't be afraid to ask!

    Ancestral Celt, What Oxford thing on telly? Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a retreat and I will be really interested to hear how you get on and what experiences you have. I've been thinking of staying at Chalice Well in Glastonbury for 24 hours, alone, but 2 weeks is something else! I can understand your mixture of emotions about it and I admire you for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh hen, do blog about your exoerience, right now i'd love to retreat for a week or two!
    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. Remember...

'Is it kind, is it necessary'?

Related Posts with Thumbnails